They say it's the biggest storm DC has seen in a century, and it was a doosey. On Friday everyone was running around trying to get prepared because we were told to prepare to be inside up to 5 days. So a great friend watched my kids and I ran to Target to get the last of the milk and bread. I was already stocked with a few meals and thought we would be good. The snow started and didn't stop until Friday evening, and in that time dumped almost 30 inches. On December 19th we had a storm that dumped nearly 2 feet and we thought that was huge, but this was even worse. I wish I had gotten more pictures before people started shoveling because it was beautiful. But the reason I didn't was because our power went off at 6:30am Saturday morning, and I was not prepared for that. We had only a few logs for the fireplace and no cold food other than sandwiches (and we didn't even have mayo, which I needed for egg sandwiches and tuna sandwiches and we were out of meat, so peanut butter it was). I just wasn't prepared for a power outage. We thought that we could possible make it work, but the house began to get really cold and Abby and Drew's lips started to turn blue.
Thankfully we had an amazing EQ President that, with the help of others, called around first thing in the morning to find out who was without power and who was willing to take people in. And on top of that he braved the roads, which were nearly impassible, and drove us to where we were welcomed to a friends house. They were so great and made us feel welcome immediately. The kids had a fantastic time playing with their friends, and I was so glad to see them with red lips again. That night we had a great time playing Settlers and just relaxing. Thankfully our power went on the next day and we were able to sleep in our own beds. Adam was so tired... he and several of the men in Elder's Quorum spent the day shoveling out members and strangers alike. It's just great to go through things like this once in awhile to be reminded how lucky we are to have such wonderful people around us.
Today the government was closed, so Adam didn't have to go in, so we got to go sledding in between his studying. Drew wasn't a huge fan, but I thought it was a lot of fun. Abby went down and up, down and up and really enjoyed it.
Tomorrow the plan is to get the car unburied and stock up on supplies again because we'll be expecting another 10-20 inches in the next few days. It's crazy, but kind of fun to escape the world a bit.





5 comments:
You guys take care, we have been worried about you with all that snow. I bet the kids think its so fun though. :)
I love it! We got quite a bit of snow here. The kids had fun, but suffered from the extreme cold! At least we were snug and warm in our own home.
Man I just can't believe it is possible to get enough snow that you can't leave your house. I don't think I would handle that very well. Good luck keeping warm.
Wow that is a LOT of snow. I have been wondering how you guys are doing.... I am thankful for blogs to be able to keep up with everyone. I hope your still doing ok since that other storm has hit by now. Update when you can and let us all know how your doing.:)
Cutest pictures ever!!! They are so big and adorable, and are having the time of their lives in the snow. Miss you girl!!
Post a Comment