Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ringing in 2009 in the dark

So, December 31st started off normal enough... I got the kids up and ready for work after throwing up a few times. I took some medication that I didn't respond to very well. Anyways, drove to work, threw up a few more times and played with the kids. Around 10 it went pitch dark out of nowhere and started dumping snow for about 3 minutes, then it stopped and the sun came out again. It was very strange. I was able to come home early and it took about an hour because all the lights were out in the city. I thought it was strange, but wasn't too concerned. I was having a great time talking to my sister in law, Amanda, on the phone, and wasn't caring too much that it was taking awhile. Then I got home only to find out that a GIANT tree had been uprooted and fell across some electric wires. We had some strong winds, but I didn't think they were that strong. When I got home I found out that the electricty had been off all day. No biggie, right? Wrong! I was sick and tired and my kids were active and I had no tv to entertain them with. I never knew how spoiled electricity made me. Now what was I supposed to do? We got out some flashlights and made shadow puppets and sang songs, lite candles, read books, sang songs, danced around, sang songs... you get the picture. Adam called and asked if I wanted him to pick up dinner and I begged him to come and take us out to dinner. He was sweet and ready to oblige.

So, we got home and.... still no electricity, so we made a fire and had smores and.... still no electricity. We got out the video camera and talked about our resolutions and... still no electricity. (This wasn't how I saw new years going). By this time it's 50 degrees in the house, 25 degrees outside, and my poor babies were cold and tired. So we made up some beds by the fire thinking we'll have a little campout, right? Wrong. Abby was so wired and Drew, being a classic male, was totally drawn to the fire. Around 10:30 we called a friend that was in UT that offered their apartment to us. I took the kids over and to bed and Adam stayed at the house to keep an eye on the fire. So we rang in the New Year exhausted and apart, but I did learn a good lesson...
I am spoiled rotten, and completely blessed. We have every comfort that we could ever imagine and I don't think I am grateful enough. I find myself so happy when the heat turns on now and a light turns on when I flick the switch, and... when there is a tv to throw my kids in front of when I need a 20 minute break. :) I also learned how unprepared I am for an emergency. I need to be a lot better about following the cousel of prepardness. In my head I've always excused it by saying that we are students and we'll do it when we're settled, but I now know that it doesn't matter. There isn't a student clause when something goes wrong, so we're going to be better.

After that long essay I hope that everyone had a wonderful New Years and is looking forward to all the new year can bring.

First day as a Sunbeam

I got my first two teeth! Random placement, but there







1 comment:

Rhodes Trip said...

That's too crazy!! Are you feeling better? This isn't another "9 months" bug is it??!! Just teasing ya!

Dang—I have got to get back on the blog-train! I'm thoroughly back-logged on posting and reading that it might take me a month to finally catch up!

Well, as for the light/heat appreciation I've got two words— D.R. (counting as one word) and South Bend (okay, counting as the second word). Yeah, you know what I'm talking about in each of those and yes we don't realize how lucky we are until something we take for granted is taken away, even for a moderately short period (I'm sure it felt like an eternity!).

I'm glad that everything is back to normal and I have a challenge for you this year. Read Jesus the Christ. I have taken our RS Presidency's teaching theme this year and have decided to incorporate it into my daily scripture studying. Just from today's lesson in RS I was captivated by the book and can't wait to sink my teeth into this hunk of literary genius!!

I'll try calling ya this week sometime. Dame's back to a normal "out-of-the-house" work schedule this week, so our daily schedule will be more back to normal as well.

Love ya and yak atcha lates. . .

Abby's B-Dag

Lilypie

Drew's B-Day

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Anniversary ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker